December 12, 2010
The EdTechWeekly crew takes and old-school look at some of the recent news and resources from the educational technology world.
- http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/ejzfp/paypal_shut_my_account_today_because_my_business/ paypal cancelling accounts of clients who give to wikileaks
- http://ds106.us/ The reverend, and digital storytelling
- http://www.hedgehogs.net/mod/hedgehogs_theme_index/learnmore.php# curverider sold. elgg moves forward with non-for-profit
- http://www.confmanager.com/main.cfm?cid=2241 Canadian elearning conference extended deadline for proposals, starting line for registrations
- http://techpresident.com/blog-entry/pew-twitters-your-place-news PEW twitter research
- http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/ The shadow scholar
- Google ebooks: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-ebooks-e-reading-takes-to-the-cloud ; http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html ; http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices ;
- Keep ahead of the crowd with info on a curated list of cool new sites http://betali.st/
- http://mashable.com/2010/12/11/microsoft-montage ; http://montage.cloudapp.net/edit/fc12c674-2f28-4a09-acfb-03afd971b04a?topic=chicago%20bears
- OS Marketshare: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7-hits-25-market-share-xp-sinks-to-50 ; http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Patch-Tuesday-to-End-Year-With-Massive-Update-526090
- iPad2 Rumors: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/12/apple-supplier-foxconn-ready-for-ipad-2-production-in-february-2011.ars
- Chrome CR48 Overview: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/google-unveils-cr-48-the-first-chrome-os-laptop
- The year in review from google: http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/zeitgeist2010
- Jolicloud: http://www.jolicloud.com/
- Chrome OS looking for piloters: http://www.google.com/chromeos
- US National Education Technology Plan: http://www.ed.gov/technology/netp-2010
- Layar :http://www.layar.com/
- 5 Fun and Safe Social Networks for Children: http://mashable.com/2010/10/11/social-networks-children/
- 12 Videos to Spark Educators' Thinking: http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2010/11/12-videos-to-spark-educators-thinking.html
- Diana Laufenberg at TEDxMidAtlantic: http://ecram3.blogspot.com/2010/11/diana-laufenberg-tedxmidatlantic.html
18:56:00 JohnS -> Welcome, Kristian. Thanks for staying up with us.
18:56:52 kristianstill -> Welcome, but it wont be for long.... last week of term and Freya is just 7 weeks. Sleep is of a premium. :D
18:58:20 gary -> Especially in PEI with water changing direcition and rising.
18:59:13 PeggyG -> Hi everyone
18:59:34 dave -> hi!
18:59:57 PeggyG -> hi there :-) audio is great :-)
19:00:21 Cathy E -> I am waiting for the android tablet, too
19:01:13 PeggyG -> you just have to pop up the chat window and it's easy to drag the url into the chat
19:01:28 kristianstill -> Ready
19:01:50 PeggyG -> oh yes!!! must record this :-)
19:01:55 kristianstill -> The outakes would be fun
19:02:43 kristianstill -> And we are the back channel
19:02:46 dave -> http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/ejzfp/paypal_shut_my_account_today_...
19:02:47 PeggyG -> and in Phoenix it is 82 degrees this afternoon!!! can't believe it!
19:03:13 JohnS -> Here's all of the links for tonight, including the ones we're not going to talk about: http://edtechweekly.wikispaces.com/EdTechWeekly+177
19:03:30 PeggyG -> I heard that about paypal
19:04:39 kristianstill -> Thats the reports over here.
19:05:22 JenM -> Google ebooks:http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html ... http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-ebooks-e-reading-takes-to-the-cloud
19:05:24 PeggyG -> education about wikileaks is different than contributing money to the cause
19:05:39 gary -> But the number of mirros keeps going up.
19:05:58 gary -> http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/08/more-than-1000-wikil.html
19:06:14 kristianstill -> Students in UK rioting and photos being posted online??
19:06:36 dave -> how's the audio tonight?
19:06:39 kristianstill -> gr8
19:06:48 Cathy E -> audio is great
19:07:07 PeggyG -> I was curious how it could be converted to the Kindle format. Will be exploring that. Can read them fine on my iphone though
19:07:29 kristianstill -> Is Ibooks of Kindle for iphone?
19:07:33 kristianstill -> or
19:07:42 JenM -> http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices
19:08:27 PeggyG -> you can read Kindle books on an iphone
19:09:08 PeggyG -> all of my Kindle books are accessible on my iphone with the Kindle app
19:09:32 kristianstill -> The European websites of the online retailer Amazon go temporarily offline, amid ongoing threats against major sites by pro-Wikileak activists.
19:09:49 connect2jamie -> @peggyG But the google ebooks can't be used on the kindle. Is that right?
19:10:00 PeggyG -> yes they can
19:10:31 JohnS -> http://www.layar.com/
19:10:33 PeggyG -> I have several google ebooks on my iphone with the Google Books app
19:11:08 dave -> http://edtechweekly.wikispaces.com/EdTechWeekly+177 all this week's links
19:11:28 kristianstill -> AR is great - making a splash here
19:11:39 kristianstill -> Sony is working hard with PSP
19:11:46 PeggyG -> thanks for compiling those links--won't need to keep so many tabs open :-)
19:12:13 kristianstill -> Storytelling around museums and edu-centres
19:12:26 dave -> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/only-a-quarter-of-all-grad...
19:12:44 kristianstill -> Stories - eg Romeo and Juliet - the AR then plays clips from the play. Fun.
19:13:16 dave -> http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/
19:13:47 gary -> And the royal family may feel less royal.
19:14:35 PeggyG -> that's pretty amazing!!
19:15:49 PeggyG -> that's incredible that people are graduating with work done by someone else!
19:17:15 gary -> It may not work for advanced/graduate physics that requires some math knowledge and understanding of things that most of us do not understand.
19:17:18 JenM -> http://mashable.com/2010/12/11/microsoft-montage
19:17:50 JenM -> http://montage.cloudapp.net/edit/fc12c674-2f28-4a09-acfb-03afd971b04a?to...
19:18:41 kristianstill -> sorry - little boy awake - :( :(
19:18:46 JohnS -> http://mashable.com/2010/10/11/social-networks-children/
19:18:51 PeggyG -> that's really cool Jen!
19:18:58 JenM -> pretty :)
19:19:33 PeggyG -> if you don't like all of the articles it brings up do you just start a new doc?
19:19:54 PeggyG -> looks like you can remove articles if you want
19:20:56 JenM -> fyi ... tom made it home from bear's game :)
19:20:56 PeggyG -> those are all new to me! I just heard about Poptropica this week for younger kids but it didn't make this list of 5.
19:21:08 dave -> http://ds106.us/
19:22:48 PeggyG -> those moving eyes are spooky!! :-)
19:23:01 JenM -> http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/google-unveils-cr-48-the-first-chrome...
19:23:34 dave -> @peggyG yup. there are a few of those... pretty cool stuff
19:24:01 PeggyG -> really intriguing!!! and inviting
19:24:02 JohnS -> http://www.google.com/chromeos/
19:25:23 PeggyG -> do you think they want experienced users? this would be so much fun!
19:26:15 PeggyG -> it says Chrome OS is for people who live on the web. :-)
19:26:27 PeggyG -> and not for the faint of heart :-)
19:28:08 JohnS -> http://www.jolicloud.com/
19:28:32 PeggyG -> very interesting point about the ipad!
19:30:52 dave -> http://www.hedgehogs.net/mod/hedgehogs_theme_index/learnmore.php#
19:32:08 dave -> http://www.confmanager.com/main.cfm?cid=2241
19:33:11 PeggyG -> how exciting!
19:33:22 PeggyG -> proposal deadline is tomorrow :-)
19:33:27 JenM -> http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/12/apple-supplier-foxconn-ready-f...
19:34:46 sroseman -> yes you can print from an ipad
19:35:04 PeggyG -> that's what I'm waiting for--next iteration of the ipad
19:35:06 JenM -> not on my canon ... or without an app that isn't really stable
19:35:07 JohnS -> http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/bbhcsd.org/ccc?key=0An9YIUsyN3OXdEVIS3l...
19:35:37 JenM -> can print on some HPs for sure
19:35:58 PeggyG -> it's so funny to see the link in the chat before the audio talks about it
19:36:12 JohnS -> http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDxTalks#p/u/6/oxtqXtPEcLc
19:36:15 PeggyG -> like a preview of coming attractions :-)
19:36:26 gary -> @Peggy - We have already moved on.
19:36:41 PeggyG -> :-)
19:37:16 dave -> http://techpresident.com/blog-entry/pew-twitters-your-place-news
19:37:26 PeggyG -> that's fantastic! really glad to see Diana's TEDx video!!
19:38:40 PeggyG -> I'm surprised at the low % of video sharing
19:39:04 gary -> Many student teahers I deal with give a blank look when I mention Twitter.
19:39:39 PeggyG -> I get that same blank look from teachers @gary :-)
19:40:24 gary -> @Peggy - we may need to monitor the mentor teachers for student teachers. :-)
19:40:28 JenM -> Year in Review: http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/zeitgeist2010
19:40:34 PeggyG -> exactly Gary!
19:41:09 PeggyG -> that was my big problem when I was responsible for finding good mentor teachers for my students--not many good role models for tech integration
19:41:22 JenM -> http://betali.st/
19:42:08 JohnS -> http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2010/11/12-videos-to-spark-educators-th...
19:42:20 PeggyG -> curated by whom?
19:42:24 gary -> Fortunately I am not involved in the "finding" - just the "dealing with".
19:43:18 PeggyG -> great list!!
19:43:31 dawn -> Dan Meyer is great
19:43:35 JenM -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220569388407&hlp=fals...
19:43:45 dave -> http://www.youtube.com/davecormier
19:44:23 JenM -> http://www.amazon.com/Meyer-Snow-Plow-John-Deere/dp/B002VM8R0K
19:45:56 PeggyG -> a holiday gift exchange! what fun!!
19:46:22 PeggyG -> I saw that tweet! hilarious!!
19:47:38 PeggyG -> thanks everyone! have a great week!
19:47:40 cathy E -> stay warm
19:47:41 dawn -> thx
19:48:02 JenM -> have a great week (and year end / new year) :)
19:48:10 gary -> Thanks again.
19:49:53 gary -> Some legumes have bean-shaped fruit.
19:49:57 JohnS -> Thanks again, everyone. Also, here are all of the links for tonight: http://edtechweekly.wikispaces.com/EdTechWeekly+177
19:50:09 gary -> So the pod - ---> bean.
19:50:38 JohnS -> So in the case of coffee, there's a pod that the "beans" come in?